Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Intimidation Begins

Perhaps throughout my training I should spend more time focusing on my brain and all of its matters as a competitor. My level of intimidation is high, currently, and my muscles end up being heavily molded by those intimidations.

Today I had, what some may call, an experience of a lifetime. I had the fortunate pleasure of hopping into the 50-meter swimming pool at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs and being coached by the Paralympic Team Resident Coach. From the very first moment I drove into the parking lot, my heart began to race.

After finishing my first lap, I told the (very gracious) coach that my heart felt like I was sprinting; which in fact my body had to disagree. My nerves were getting to me.

For one reason or another, I have let my confidence go by the wayside over the past few years. It has been quite unintentional and very regretful, but nonetheless, something that has occurred.

Although my main focus remains increasing my yardage in the pool and regaining a sprint quality race, I now need to resurface a confidence that has had pictures on milk cartons and in post offices around town, no doubt.

Have you seen my confidence? If so, please consult me immediately on this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment