Sunday, January 2, 2011

Swimming Is Good For My Soul

By far, the biggest worry that my brain endures is that of my health. That's why when I officially had a surgery for no good reason, I was fairly upset with myself. It would be one thing if I was having surgery on a part of my body that good readily respond to pain through intricate communication with my brain, but alas my knee, and my whole leg for that matter, keeps relatively quiet in that regard.

It was three days before I would even peek through the bandages at the damages done from the hammering and drilling surgeon. It wasn't so bad---some residual swelling and bruising and such, however it made my stomach churn simply because I couldn't feel it. Strange? I know.

Yesterday I was cleared to get my knee wet by way of a shower. I had been showering with my leg hanging out of the tub previously. I am cleared to get back in the pool on Tuesday, but my brain and body just could not wait another day.

I woke up this morning with a stiff and shooting sore neck. My elbow hurt and my dreams of swimming laps were telling me that it was time. Good thing that the previous night I had already made a special trip to Walgreens to load up on waterproof wound dressings.

So, doubling up on the waterproof bandages I headed to the pool with a crick in my neck and a smile on my face.

I can't believe how much my life revolves around swimming right now. I feel almost pathetic the way that my friends have slowly stopped calling, my bedsheets smell like chlorine, and my bedtime is faithfully 8pm. However, there is something so powerful about all of this. I have found a confidence that has been hiding for years. I am excited to see where this journey takes me and I am actually starting to believe that I still have a long road ahead, which I am equally proud and grateful for.

All that I know is that swimming is good for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment