Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Am Who I Am: Fourteen Years in the Making

One of the most fascinating and rewarding parts of life is that it is, in fact, ever-changing. Moments of quick prediction is NOT what life is all about. Life is about the twists and turns, it's about the unforeseen and ridiculous. Life is about the things that jolt and surprise you. Life is made up of all of these things, and feeling each one of them reassures your own existence.

Fourteen years ago I didn't realize this. Fourteen years ago I was naive and small.

But because of the unforeseen, because of those jolts and turns, I am here today-- and I am ever so proud of that.

I am who I am because of all of these unexpected moments that have shaped me. Some fortunate, like gaining recognition from those you mentor, teach, or coach--some very much less than. Whatever the case may be, I am thankful for all of these moments... for none of which I could have LIVED without.

My journey in swimming is the metaphor for all of this, and I hope it to continue to be so. One day, I hope to share this journey to those who know nothing about swimming but still appreciate and grow from the statement nonetheless.

Fourteen years ago, I laughed and played and understood none of it. Today, I laugh and play and understand that it's not to be understood. So long as each moment becomes a lesson and each lesson becomes an opportunity to share and teach, I will continue to thrive and grow and love.

I am who I am because of the past fourteen years. I owe it all to the tragedy that gave me the will to love life and those subtle reminders since.


No comments:

Post a Comment