Saturday, March 5, 2011

Asking For Starlight

Asking for things like help or attention has never been something that I have done well or done often. For some reason, in my growing up I equated asking for things as weakness or selfishness or irresponsibly. I remember many a painful birthday of overflowing gifts and back-to-school shopping sessions with Grandma that left me so uncomfortable and upset.

For those who know me well, they would tell you that this trait, as admirable as it may seem, is present to quite a striking fault.

However, lately in my pursuit to be the best swimmer/human being I can muster, I have learned to overcome quite a bit in this arena. From asking for swim gear to requesting flight donations to adjusting my teaching schedule, I have been my own best advocate.

Everyone is wonderful in their support of my endeavors. Both Speedo and Out of Breath Sports have willingly (and encouragingly) offered up all of the equipment I could ever need for my training. Continental Airlines graciously waived their $300 ticket change fee to allow me to get to my meet in time-- seeing as I had previously accidentally and regretfully booked the wrong flight. School has welcomed my desire and need to focus on my training and overall goals in the not-so-distant-future. I never realized that asking for things could be so easy!

I suppose when you are asking for the RIGHT things, for those things that have the potential to make a change in someone's life and provide with the possibilities of stars in the sky, people feel it and respond to it with shooting stars.

I am feeling that brightness.

No comments:

Post a Comment